Friday, October 19, 2012

Sharing what we love with those we love

I was reading in Kristen Armstrong's book "Mile Markers" this morning.  It became one of my favorite books after just reading the first chapter.  In fact I'm reading it slowly.  Savoring each chapter.  I felt like so much of what she was saying was an echo of things I've thought and said and written.  It rang so true and I felt like she was an old friend.  Weird.  I know.  But it's no different than when I feel like I "know" some of you so well through your blogs.  It's funny how when we share things with each other we become connected.  Which brings me back to what I read that got me thinking.  She had just finished writing about an experience with her kids when she says this, "I have a lump in my throat just sharing this with you.  I almost didn't want to write about it, because I thought that somehow putting it out there might diminish the intimacy of the experience.  Or that it might lose some sparkle if I tried to translate it.  Some personally significant things are best kept personal.  But in the end I decided that like crossing over the bridge together, the best memories of all are the ones you can share."  I can't count the times I have felt like this.  Times that I've felt like I've done a disservice to the memory because I can't put into words the extraordinary way it makes me feel. But in the end I'm always glad that I've taken time to document it and at least try to express myself.  Why do we do this?  Why do we feel the need to share?  Why do we Facebook, Blog, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, or e-mail?  Is it some narcissistic need to leave a part of us behind with the rest of the world?  Is it to feel important?  To feel like we're winning the popularity contest with the most "likes" or comments?  Maybe part of it is, if we're honest.  But deep down, I like to think that when we share things with the world, with those we love and those we don't even know, that we're just trying to share a little of the joy that we feel.  Be it through nature or family or the freedom of running.  We are happy and want to share a bit of that joy with the world.  We hope to inspire them to feel the same joy.

A couple of days ago I took my kids to the trail that I've been running on so that they could see the autumn colors.  It was a little piece of heaven.  It made my heart fill to overflowing to watch them having as much fun on that trail as I do.




 They were skipping and running in the stop and go fashion that kids do on the roller coaster hills, hiking with hands on hips on the steep uphills, and literally flying on the downhills.  The giggling was contagious.


The youngest had his bag to collect leaves and we stopped by the running water to listen and watch it falls down the rocks and look for fish.


 It was the perfect afternoon.  And I realized that while running on that trail makes me smile and brings me joy, it's not until I share it that my joy overflows.








So I am thankful to Mel for showing me this trail and I'm thankful that I get to share it with those I love.  I think that's part of the reason I have loved running with my brother this year.  It's so great to see him enjoy running and trails.  It's something we have in common and something we can enjoy without having to explain it.  I think it's part of the reason this blogging community is so great.  We can share what we love without trying to hard to explain why, because we all just get it.  


I shared this trail with Heather a while ago and recently shared it with Jodi.  We had a great time marveling at all the vibrant colors that we really weren't paying attention to the steep inclines and slow paced miles.  It was a great morning.  It's great how those shared times with friends are the ones that stick in my mind so well.  I not only remember the sights ands sounds and smells better, but the feelings that accompany them are locked in place.  I love running alone, but I sure love running with friends and sharing in their joys as well.  Running really is such a raw and emotionally charged activity.  I think that's part of the reason I love it so much.





 

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Those trails are stunning!! I miss those fall colors! San Diego doesn't exactly experience those hues.

What beautiful children too!

Sheryll said...

Kristin has summed up the reason why I blog very well, and I've never been able to pinpoint it myself. I've heard the narcissistic/popularity/self-indulgent angle on blogging before and never agreed with that, but sharing - yes!

That trail looks absolutely stunning - thanks for sharing the joy!

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

You wrote, "We're just trying to share a little of the joy that we feel." That's just how I feel!

Those leaves are gorgeous! What a great place!

ihaverun said...

I absolutely love this! And I did the same thing with her book.

Your kids are so cute. I'm so glad sharing the trail with them was such a good experience for all of you. It is truly breathtaking.

Tasha Malcolm said...

You have a beautiful family Jen! :-)
I read Kristin Armstrong's book last year and loved it!!! I honestly didn't think I would like it, but like you, after the first chapter I was hooked. I would even read it again if I had the time.

emi said...

those fall colors are stunning and they're making me miss utah fall! we live in CA now..also i am so impressed that you're trying out the barefoot running! my parents are big runners and are thinking of trying that out. have you read born to run?
love your cute blog and am your new follower! xo chaseandem.blogspot.com

Rachelle Wardle said...

I love every single thing about this post. Your perspective, your family, your beautiful smile. Jen you make me want to be a better person. Thank you so much for being you and for always teaching me through your posts. You truly inspire me to want to be a better person in every aspect of my life.

Absolutely beautiful pictures and I know I've already told you this once but it's worth mentioning again. You little boy should be a model....I mean seriously he is the cutest thing alive! Such a beautiful family you have.

One heart and mind said...

Love this post! You are my girlfriend! I've got to get back over to that trail pronto!

Nelly said...

Your pics are always amazing, you run on the best trails. Sounds like a great day!