Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Long Run = DNF

For the first time ever I quit a long run. And as disappointed as I was, I think it was the right thing to do. I had a nice head cold, didn't dress appropriately for the weather, and just plain didn't feel good. I set out hoping for a 12-14 miler. But after the sun disappeared and the cold rain and wind started up, not wearing a hat or gloves or socks took it's toll. I stopped at one point to decided whether I should tough it out and found that I couldn't move my forehead or mouth very well. I also was feeling slightly dizzy. I decided to call it quits. I called my mother in law and she drove out and got me. I sat in the warm tub for a long time sulking. When you feel crappy, it's hard to imagine feeling good. It's hard to remember why I think I can do these things. And it's easier to understand why people quit. I don't like to think of myself as a quitter, which is why it was hard to stop running even though it was hard. I like to think that I am able to push through pain. But on that day, I just didn't feel like punishing my body.
Monday I set out feeling much better and did 8 miles like it was nothing. I know that the mind has a lot of control over the body. But sometimes, listening to what the body is trying to tell us isn't always a bad thing. At least in a training run, right? Hopefully this week turns out much better.

I should wear a hat just to cover up those scrawny bangs. But boy, it was a gorgeous morning.


Now I'll leave you with two of my favorite dishes.

Leftover salmon with orzo pasta, broccoli, Italian dressing, and tomatoes. Seriously, I could eat this every day.

Eggs, spinach, broccoli, tomatoes, and wheat tortillas. YUM!

How do you handle bad running days?

What is a favorite thing that you are eating lately?

Monday: 5.5 mile run outside in socks, .5 miles barefoot
Tuesday: 5.5 mile run outside in socks, full body weights, 60 spin class
Wednesday: 5 mile run outside (.5 barefoot the rest in gorilla feet)
Thursday: full body weights, 60 spin class
Friday: 4.5 mile run outside in gorilla feet
Saturday: 9 mile run outside in gorilla feet

16 comments:

Stephanie said...

What gorgeous scenery you have to run in!!

Kathie said...

Wow!! Gorgeous backdrop for running in. I am jealous!!

Too funny you mention bad running in your post today. I did the same thing.

I am glad you didnt finish tho, listened to your body and got a ride back. I am sure that nice, warm soak felt good, am i right? ;)

LAPT said...

I always tell myself that one bad run is what makes the good ones even better. That's why we run, I think -- running is a challenge even if you're experienced.

Favorite foods...
my vanilla yogurt + winter squash puree parfait! and also roasted brussel sprouts, which i put in my salads and eat as often as i can!

zapmamak said...

I'm gonna leave the food thing be, cuz lately I've been transitioning into the paleo thing which has no room right now for food that makes me happy. I'm working on it though. I'm sure I'll find something soon.

Bad runs are inevitable. Every runner has them. We're all human. Crap happens. We need to give ourselves a break every now and then. Glad to see you take care of yourself.

I can't wait to get my long runs back. Haven't been there in months.

Anonymous said...

So sorry you're not feeling well! But you are a smart lady!

Unknown said...

Your food does look yummy! I think you were very smart to listen to your body...sorry it was a bad day though. Hope you have a wonderful week!

Stefanie D. said...

I just try to not beat myself up too much when I have a bad run. Because I have to remind myself that I am training, and this body isn't perfect. So, there are going to be bad days, which make the good ones so much better!

I have a new love for orzo pasta. It's like glorified rice! Mmmm.

The Hungry Runner Girl said...

Um, I wouldn't have made it near that far before quitting, those are crazy conditions!! YOU ARE AMAZING. I am coming over for dinner, those dishes look professional!! I handle bad running days by venting to Billy and having him remind me of all the good running days. I also look back on good running day posts that I have done to remember!! I had sushi last night and that is my favorite. You are so gorgeous!

A Prelude To... said...

I think you were right to stop that run. Your symptoms sound like you were close to a crisis. You played smart...that doesn't mean you're not still tough as nails :-)

I like the looks of your eggy tortilla dish.

My favorite thing that I'm eating these days is my breakfast. It's a lot like your eggy tortilla, but I toss the eggs and veggies on a piece of whole wheat toast. A special bread that MAKES the meal...oh...and I can't do it without a little sour cream and ketchup on top.

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail said...

Jen, I thougt I was already following you! My mistake! The picture of you is beautiful--I love your bangs sweaty or not!

Both of your dishes look like meals I could eat daily--I never tire of nutrient dense food!

LAPT said...

Hah.. the whole Glee soundtrack makes me day! :-) Who WOULDN'T want to run to Fat Bottomed Girls?!?

Julia said...

First of all...your food looks amazing and I am going to have to try to make them myself at some point. Lately I have been into baking pasta--baked ziti and baked spaghetti...mostly with veggies. Also...I am always so impressed by your ability to listen to your body so well. It is seriously inspiring and I hope I can get better at it as well. Please keep blogging about that because I have learned a lot from you! For me...after a bad run...I try to do something else I enjoy to keep my mind off of it, plan to switch up my routine a little the next day and just remind myself that not every run can feel great (that keeps me running because I know that the great runs will return!). Hope you are doing well!

Amanda@runninghood said...

Hey Jen,
I take these bad days as part of the process. I chalk it up to just one more piece to the puzzle to learn from . These days make me stronger and I allow myself to just be okay with them and love myself anyway. Some days you just don't feel it and that's okay!

I've really been enjoying my protein shakes lately with Kale, spinach, yogurt, berries, banana, etc. I have so much energy from them!

Pam @ herbieontherun.com said...

If you ain't feeling it, you ain't feeling it. Plain and simple.

That landscape backdrop in that first picture is absolutely stunning.

KT80 said...

I am feeling similar, and thanks for your words of encouragement. When you said you decided not to 'punish' your body that struck a chord with me. Pushing through too much pain is actually punishing ourselves. It's important for me to remember that; it's a punishment and not being a good friend.

Hannah said...

Ahhhh! There you go posting those pictures of that gorgeousness of your scenery that I love so much! And, you look great, too!

I learned about 3 weeks ago that you can toast bagels, and that they taste about 95% better when you do. Who knew? I never could figure out how people liked bagels so much...now I get it. (Embarrassing to admit...)

I also just started making smoothies, daily. It has helped so much with getting the in the extra calories I need. Sometimes eating even more than normal seems daunting, but for some reason, drinking the calories isn't so bad some days. I've had fun experimenting! My favorite so far is spinach, a little apple juice, frozen peaches, tofu, and my flax oil. My husband hates tofu, hates all things that are "weird" looking. But I made him taste it and he was quite impressed!