Monday, January 31, 2011

Blogger Meet Up!

This week did not go according to plan. I was on pain killers until Wed. and that doesn't mix well with running. Wed.'s 3 mile run felt terrible. But by Friday's run I felt back to normal and things were good! I had that crazy run's high when I got home and felt like I could have gone forever. If it weren't for a car pool, I might have. It felt good to be back to normal. Stupid root canal. If I learned anything from that it was to not procrastinate getting out of pain. Whether it's a sinus infection or a tooth problem, it's probably not going away on it's own! Lesson learned. I knew that Saturday's long run wasn't going to happen. I stayed up way too late with my husband who was doing some work things on Friday night and then had a big day planned for Saturday. It was my Grandma's 90th Birthday party and I also was going to meet a bunch of bloggers. So 5 miles was all that happened and even then my bed didn't get made or dishes done as we rushed out the door to make it on time. Oh well. I didn't beat myself up too much about it and figured that I'll get back on track this week.

From L to R: Rachelle, Julia, Cindy, me, Janae, Ashley, and Miriam.

This is really stupid, but the night before the meet up I started getting nervous. Having thoughts like, "will they like me?" "Will I have anything to say?" "I'm not fast. Am I still considered a good enough runner to hang out with them?" "What are they going to think about my not so skinny body? Are they going to wonder if I really do run?" And then I started wondering what I should wear. I started wishing I had gone shopping for a new outfit. It was kind of like a blind date. I felt like a stupid teenager. And then, to make matters worse, from what I knew, I realized that I was going to be the oldest person at this meet up. Now if that doesn't bring some feelings up to the surface, I don't know what will. I generally don't worry about my age. I am comfortable in my skin and happy with where I am in life. Since I couldn't really do anything about these thoughts, I just let them go and decided to just be myself and that would have to be good enough. Am I the only one who has these crazy thoughts of inferiority or comparing myself with others? Or is it a normal woman thing? I usually don't get caught in that trap.
The blogger meet up was awesome. I was indeed the old lady at this meet up. I was the only one with kids. But it was great to see that we're all runners and we were connected through that. We talked for 2 hours and could have gone on for longer. It's fun to meet people in person after you've "known" them online. It's fun to hear what their voice sounds like, to see how tall they are, and to see if they are really as nice in person as they seem on their blogs. I can tell you that if you've ever wondered if Janae (hungry runner girl) can really be that sweet and interested in your life, she can be and is. It's a beautiful talent that she possesses. A gift, really. Everyone else was great, talented, and sweet and I found another person (Ashley) who's running Ogden. All in all, it was a great day where I came away with new friends! Could you ask for a better day than that? Even if I did miss my long run!

Wednesday: 3 mile run in Evo's, full body weights
Thursday: cycling class
Friday: 5 mile run in gorilla feet, full body weights
Saturday: 5 mile run in gorilla feet

Have you ever done a bloggy meet up?
This was my second. I met Anna and her husband a couple of years ago. It was a great experience and I would do it again in a heartbeat. Runners are a special breed. My husband thinks it's crazy though and that some cute "girl" will end up being a 50 year old ex-convict who kidnaps me and then finds my address and robs us blind.
Do you ever have your workout plans cut short and how do you deal with it? Make it up or just let it go?

17 comments:

Stephanie said...

Happy Birthday to your grandma! The meet up sounds wonderful! I'm excited to do the same! (And I'll be old, slow and a mama too) Have a great Monday!

A Prelude To... said...

What a fun blogger meet- up. A great picture of everyone!

I met up with a bunch of internet friends in Florida once for a girls weekend at the beach. I had more than a couple people think I was CRAZY for flying across the country to vacation with "strangers" but it was a blast!

Unknown said...

I am actually pretty envious of your meet-up! I would have loved to be there and meet all of you fantastic women.

I'm like you. For some weird reason, I'd probably be nervous too.

LAPT said...

So jealous!!! I think that running is such a great equalizer between all of us... glad you had fun!

Wendy said...

I am bummed that I didn't go to Jenae's blogger meet-up. I had no idea you were going to be there, too. Two awesome ladies that I so admire in the same place. Argh! Well, we had a church thing to go to, so I couldn't make it. If I had been there, I would've been the biggest and oldest person (I'm 36), therefore making you feel better about yourself. ;-)

Someday I will meet you! ;-) And I promise not to kidnap you.

Wendy said...

PS. I also worry about what others will think of me when I first meet them but am, in general, comfortable in my skin and comfortable with my age. It is only sometimes that I feel a little insecure. ;-) I think it is a woman thing.

Emz said...

what an awesome photo!

What a blast!

LOVE meet-ups!!!

Julia said...

it was soooo great to meet you! and I definitely had anxiety as well...I do not even know what I was anxious about? definitely the am i fast enough? know enough about running? and then i always feel like the young single one so (in a way) can relate to you feeling worried about being the older one (which you definitely do not look old enough to have 4 kids!!) i hope we can meet up near your way at some point!! i would love to run up there :) i am looking forward to following your blog!

Luke Johnson said...

Haha, nice! That blogger meet-up idea is really neat!

The Hungry Runner Girl said...

Okay, girl I was totally nervous too....I felt like a blind date too!! It really is crazy how as woman we are so hard on ourselves and worry about everything. After our first of 500 hugs I felt comfortable with you!! I really had such a good time and what you said about me made me tear up, thank you. Coming from you that meant so much because I really look up to you and think the world of you.
K, PAIN MEDS?!?! you forgot to mention that? Are you doing okay woman!!!
I loved seeing your gorilla feet! SO COOL!!
We both missed our long runs Saturday and we didn't even know it. It really was so amazing the connection we all had and I seriously could have stayed and chatted all night! Just to let you know you have a ROCKING SKINNY BOD!!! I am not even just saying that....you are GORGEOUS and you look younger than me!! Sorry for the novel comment! LOVE YOU!!!

zapmamak said...

Your meetup sounds awesome! Wish I could do that with all the barefoot runners that I've gotten to know online and through blogs. Its a lonely sport, barefoot running. How did you coordinate something like that? Is everyone close by? At any rate, sounds like you had a blast.

ash & diz said...

Ummm... Yeah, I was SOOO stinkin nervous. I felt like I was in highschool all over again. I was being a nutcase in the car with my hubby. Asking him "do I look cute?" "what if they don't like me?" AHHH! and it couldn't have been a better day! Totally loved meeting everybody. AND you are a skinny minnie! You look fantastic, and I'm so excited to run Ogden and meet up with you there.

AND-seriously-you do NOT look old enough to have a 16 yr old. NOT at all! :)

Muncher Cruncher said...

Jen! I am SO SO SO sad I didn't get to come and meet you! It ended up being the craziest day! My sis needed my help and I wasn't feeling so hot, but I am SUPER bummed! Can we do it again sometime...PLEASE!!?!?! Isn't Janae the greatest? Man, I love that girl. I'm sure you are equally as amazing and darling! I loved you talking about it like it was a blind date because I'm prettttty sure I would have been the same way! Why do we do that to ourselves?? You look darling in the pic, and I'm positive they all loved you!
Oh...and yes, I'll come bag some veggies for you! ;)

Anonymous said...

YOU LUCKY DUCK! That is soo cool!!! No bloggie meet up for me yet, maybe someday.

If you have to cut it short, let it go that one workout won't make or break you.. :)

The Hungry Runner Girl said...

I cannot stop eating your homemade jam and I have had a dozen eggs already. You are my hero! Thanks again gorgeous!

Wendy said...

Looks like a great day!

ihaverun said...

I have only met one other blogger. It was so much fun!

I'm sure if I had been there, I would have been the oldest. I'd love to come if you do this again. I'll make you feel younger =)