Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Training Update

I have nothing clever to say. I try not to write when I feel like this, but it's been far too long so maybe it will get better as I go. Training for this birthday run has been all sorts of things. It's been fun, tiring, challenging, inspiring, amazing, and lonely. I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer but in reality 24 miles with myself is a lot. I just plain run out of things to say to myself. I've gotten up at the wee hour of 5 for these long runs and they take me a while. I've done them on Mondays for two reasons. First: in order to do back to back long runs I can't do it on Saturday because I rest on Sundays. Second: there are some pretty fun races this time of year and they are all on Saturdays so I wanted them free so that I can do them. The problem with that kind of thinking is that by the time the weekend comes, I'm bushed. So I haven't really pushed myself during them and just physically can't and knowing that I have another long run coming in two days mentally makes it so that I just can't push it to the hurting point.

Winter is still my favorite running season though even if it has been bitterly cold here lately. What is the weather like where you live?

Winter seems to produce some incredible sunrises. And they don't last long.


Thanksgiving day was nice and so we went for a little mountain bike ride after dinner. It was muddy and hard. Just the thing I needed before stuffing my face with pie.

My dad, me and my hubby.

Me and Jodi right after the Turkey Trot. I ran it 1 minute faster than last year but 1 minute slower than I thought I would. I did come away with a pumpkin pie for 3rd place though.

I only have one more long run before the taper starts and I'm not sure I'm going to be able to do it. I've done the following runs the last couple of weeks: 18, 20, 22, 22, 24 miles all followed the next day by 10 mile runs. The second to the last 22 miler I felt SO good. I wanted to go further but kept myself reigned in. It was also my first 50 mile week ever. I was pretty excited. I stepped on the treadmill the next week to start my 24 miler and from the first step my ankle felt off. It didn't hurt, it just felt like it was tweaked. Well, with no other warning, I just kept going thinking it would work itself out. It did not. The 10 miler the next day was torture. It did hurt by then. Why I kept going I can not say. But I haven't run for almost a week now and it's getting better. I've been to see the chiropractor to make sure nothing was torn or broken and it looks good so now it's just the waiting game. I've been going to spin class as often as possible and lifting weights and doing yoga. I hope that if I can't do that 26 miler that things will still be o.k. for my birthday run. I'm trying to be patient but anyone who know's me knows that it's not my strong suite. However, I was very proud of myself because I was a very good girl and had my first DNS. It was only a 5K, but it's a fun one and I sat it out. I now have a really cute $20 pajama shirt. First race I've paid for and not run. Guess there's a first time for everything, right!

Tell me things will be o.k. for my run. (Lie if you have to!)
What is your favorite season in which to run?
What holiday plans do you have?

23 comments:

Julia said...

Jen,

I KNOW things will be okay if you don't get in the 26 miler or if you do. You began this journey as a passion for running...a way of celebrating yourself, your life and the things that you love and are blessed to be able to do and enjoy...like running. Sure you need physical preparedness but never count out the power of your passion and determination for something. It can get you a rather long way as well. You CAN do this. I believe in you. You are incredibly strong and a daily inspiration to me to set my goals high and go after them in full confidence. Thanks for being a dear friend! Sending healing thoughts!

Rachelle Wardle said...

I absolutely agree with everything Julia said. You are such an inspiration and I know for a fact that your passion and love will carry you through this journey no matter what.

Now the more important question is when are you doing this? I really really want to be there. I know it is coming up soon so let me know.

Love you!

abbi said...

Sounds like your body needs the rest to recover and that will likely be more beneficial than getting the last long run in.

Laura said...

Just found your blog, and I love your "why i run" page! also love your gardening project-- we have done a lot of gardening, canning and freezing in the past and I can't wait to do more. I look forward to following your journey!

A Prelude To... said...

Things will be not only o.k....
but BETTER than ok!! I promise :D

Anonymous said...

ok boy I need to go back.. what are you training for??

Jen @ Run for Anna said...

Wow! Those are a lot of long runs! You will DEFINITELY be OK with that kind of mileage behind you.

Nelly said...

Great pics as usual! I know Utah has great snowboarding, I think Park City was named the best ski resort in the US.

Bummer to hear about your ankle pain, maybe back off a bit and see if it gets better? Hopefully it starts to feel better soon. Maybe just see how the birthday run goes the first 5 miles to see if you can do the rest of it.

My favorite season to run is fall -the temp is perfect, and there is great scenery because of the falling leaves.

Anonymous said...

Don't worry girl, everything will be okay if you don't get that last long run, you have trained hard and run your butt off, so just appreciate that! You are going to do great!

Jerilee E. said...

You are one tough woman and you WILL be fine... great, even! No need to lie about that. You are seriously amazing!!

Suzana said...

I don't know you well, but everything will be fine!! Look at how awesome your mileage is, and your ankle is already getting better after a little time off. :D

I do love your cute hat :)

Raina said...

You will do great! And a week off will be NO fitness lost :) Way to score the pumpkin pie and the shirt to boot!

Christy @ My Dirt Road Anthem: A Runner's Blog said...

I don't marathon (yet) so I can't say too much about that. I do love that first picture of you. You look so happy. I love fall running most but when it is sunny and not windy I love winter running too.

misszippy said...

Wow--you are getting in awesome mileage! And I think it would be really hard to so 24 alone. I am spoiled in always having training partners for long runs, so always impasses at those of you who go solo so long!

So you mentioned Utah for some meeting up. Guess which fall marathon I am considering? Top of Utah! Will keep you posted.

Wendy said...

You are amazing!

You inspire me to get outside and run in this cold weather!

Lindsey said...

You will definitely be okay for your run! You have gotten in solid training. I'm sure even if you don't get the last 26 mile run done you will be fine. Listen to your body. It would be better to skip your long run than get injured!

I wish I liked running in the winter. Summer is my favorite season to run. I was actually thinking about the fact that winter is your favorite season to run while I was running in the freezing cold today. I kept telling myself... it's not that bad and enjoy yourself!

Jamie Walker said...

Dont do the last long run. Enjoy some time and recovery. Trust me. I've done a lot of distance running. And the best thing to get you prepared for a long run is recovery...I promise...much better than yet another long run.

Cotter Crunch said...

things will be more than ok, they will be great! you've done the work. Believe!

Sabrina @ Radioactive Runner said...

Jen, you are clocking A LOT of miles especially with two long runs back to back... no wonder you're tired!! Believe in yourself and your training and you will do fine :)
You're pictures are beautiful!!

LAPT said...

Your run will be ok! You're almost there!!

Sam W. said...

you will be just fine :)

i think i like running in the fall the best. feeling that break from summer heat is such a blessing.

Average Woman Runner said...

Looks beautiful down there with that snow!

5 Speed Runnning said...

Readers who do not know their specific training paces, this tool will help you.

Personalized Workout Calculator >>>> http://www.freerunningcalculator.com

Courtesy of Running Coach
Ken at 5 Speed Running