Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Mantua Dam Race 2011 and other Miscellaneous Stuff

The only reason I run this race year after year is because I get a t-shirt that says, "I survived the Dam race". Well, that and it's really fun to talk about the dam race. My kids really like asking me about the dam race. It's become a big hit and we had a lot of participants from my little neighborhood. They also had a record number of people with more than 325.

I got 3rd in my age group and finished with a time of 44:24. That just means that all the fast runners stayed home that day. It's 5 miles around a lake all on a rocky dirt road. I was pleased with my time with it being almost 2 minutes faster than last year. Plus it was just fun having so many people there that I knew.


Phil, Tori Shannon, Heidi, me, Jodi, Heather and Rob.

Catching up with those we didn't get in the first picture...
Phil, Heidi, Tori, Shannon, Robyn, me, Shandra, Julie, Audry, Jodi, and Shawna.

I bagged my long run because I wasn't in the mood and did a long ride instead. I actually didn't plan it very well and didn't wear my padded shorts or bring enough water. I ended up having to detour and stop at a park to refill my bottle. It ended up being over 31 miles and my rear end was really happy when we were done.

I took my ride out to our local Bird Refuge. It's my new favorite destination. There is so much beauty there and so many birds. I feel like an old person getting all excited about birds, but it really was thrilling watching an enormous pelican spread its wings and land gracefully on the water without so much as a splash. Or watch the long legged stilts birds walk along and dip their heads in the water to catch fish. I also saw birds dive bombing into the water. And there were huge flocks of brightly colored finches dancing in their synchronized way above me in the sky. Seriously, a really cool place to ride and the perfect way to experience it.


I've been trying to get in one trail run a week, one longish barefoot run, and a 20ish mile bike ride every week. Then I can just fill in the rest with whatever I feel like as long as I'm getting in at least two days of weight training. While it's not a full workout, I am really digging this quick yoga routine after my runs as of late.

This trail run turned into a mostly hike until the top of the canyon. I ran the hills until it just got too steep and my heart rate wouldn't settle down. So I hiked until it I felt like I could run again, which was almost to the top. I had some good 18-20 minute miles in there. It was also hot. You can see my "glow" (which translated is the lady word for sweaty as a pig). But once I reached the other side of the mountain, the sun went behind the clouds, a slight breeze picked up and it was bearable.

The rocky, sagebrush filled area turned into more forest like conditions on the other side of the mountain. Simply beautiful.
I live in a really beautiful place. Don't you wan to come run with me?

There are definite advantages to not planning my runs or having a training plan. But long runs in the summer in the mountains probably need to be better planned. I finally ran out of my little water supply and called for a ride home. 7.5 miles and 2 sweaty hours later I was really craving a cold bath.

** What have you been up to?
** Are you following a plan right now or just winging it?
** What's your next big race?

25 comments:

Vanessa @ Gourmet Runner said...

What a gorgeous place to run! Love the Dam Race---I would be talking about it all the time, haha!
:)

HD said...

I finally ran in Mantua a couple weeks ago for the first time! Great run. I'm in Utah too so if you ever want a running buddy lemme know :) I live so close to the bird refuge and I've still never been there. I really need to take the kids there one of these days.

Connie said...

I do, I do!! I want to come run with you! Beautiful pictures and congrats on a great time in that Dam Race!

Jen @ Run for Anna said...

Wow! Those pics are just gorgeous!! Congratulations on a great race!

Rachelle Wardle said...

Great job on the race Jen! You are amazing and it looks like you had a good time. :)

Love all of your pictures, you always capture the most amazing scenary. Thank you so much for sharing.

Penny said...

Those pictures are gorgeous. I would love to run those trails. My next race isnt till Oct. than I am doing the IMT Des Monies half marathon. I am following Hal's plan, or I should say trying. I am a wing it person. As long as I get my long runs in I wing the rest. But trying to do better this time and follow a plan. It good to see you are getting some miles in. I glad your foot is better. Take care of yourself.

Katie said...

You DO live in a beautiful place!! Your pics are great! Do you carry a camera with you or is that from your phone? Congrats on the Dam race.

Sam W. said...

way to go on a great time and placing in the dam race (you're right, that was fun!). i've been doing a lot of inside running. too dang hot!

A Prelude To... said...

I had just clicked onto your blog when I heard my email jingle and it was a comment from YOU! Too funny - thinking of each other at the same time.
Ok...now I'm going to go read your latest blog post :D

Julie

A Prelude To... said...

What kind of camera are you using? Your pictures are turning out FANTASTIC!

Elle said...

Beautiful pictures... you DO live in a splendid place. Lucky you.

Love the DAM RACE pics and writeup - so cute for your kids to be able to say that and have a giggle.

Keep up the great summer workouts.

Anonymous said...

Good job on your race! Nice time!
Love end of race pics!

ihaverun said...

You look awesome while you are running! And I love the green shirt with the green background.

In college I read a book about that bird refuge. It was interesting and made me want to go there. I really should since it isn't THAT far away!

Great job on the third place! And I think it means you ARE one of the fast runners =)

My next race is the Timp Half on Saturday and I am following a training plan to get ready for St. George.

Teamarcia said...

Congrats on a great race! Wow those pics are gorgeous!
Hmmm next big race: I don't think I have anything scheduled until Twin Cities on 10/2, although I'm planning on slipping a few things in before then.

Anonymous said...

3rd AG!!!! You go girl! That is soo awesome!!!! Wish I could congratulate you in person! That dirt road looks like barefoot heaven to me! Thank you for all your always kind words..I'm thinking of you!

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail said...

Jen I would LOVE LOVE to run with you! I know you are a positive force and someone that brings life into a room!

Congrats on your DAM age group place! I really like those shirts! Looks like a great group of people!

I'm winging it right now which is weird for me, but I think I'm doing okay? H2C will only tell!

Unknown said...

I know what you mean about the pelicans landing; they're stunning. We have some land on the river behind my house occasionally and it's always a real treat to watch. Yes, Utah is gorgeous. I would love to head on that way some day, if only to get one of those dam tee-shirts! My training routine is 5 days a week; tempo, speed, lsd, hills, tempo, repeat. Pretty boring, but I gotta prove something to myself and I'm putting in the miles. Great post Jen.

Tricia said...

great pics! And I'd totally run the race for that shirt :)

Keri @ Blue-Eyed Runner said...

Love the quote on your header and your pictures!!

Samantha said...

Great job on your age group!! That is an awesome finish line photo :)

Anonymous said...

Dam Age Group Winner! Woo hoo!

Wendy said...

Congrats! You did awesome and the pictures are amazing!

emlizalmo said...

You are so beautiful and smiley. :) Thanks for being so nice to me when i barged into your conversation at yogurtland today. :) I LOVE reading your blog. I love reading about your frustrations and how you get right back up and keep on going. Blogs like yours remind me that I can and WILL pull out of my running funk. Thanks!

Julia said...

I GOTTA COME RUN WITH YOU SOON. so gorgeous. so amazing. and you are beautiful in your pics! your time was so speedy in the race! congrats on your place...I want to run the dam race! haha!

Margot (fasterbunnyblog) said...

Nice job with ALL of your races :).