Saturday, August 2, 2008

My calves, oh my aching calves!

I knew that my calves would probably hurt after all that jump roping, but to be honest, since I started really focusing on my weight training this week, they were pretty much the only part of my body that wasn't in pain.  Well I changed that in a hurry!  I ran Friday my old 5 mile route backwards and down Main Street for part of it so that I could go past the drinking fountains.  The first two miles is all uphill and my calves were screaming, but I knew the middle 2 would be downhillish so I made them keep going.  It was one of the best runs I've had in a long time and didn't really need to stop and walk at all.  And I felt like I was pushing it a little.  Too bad those days are few and far between.  I finished with lower body weights but ran out of time for the upper.  

Today I met Holly and I ran while she rode her bike along side me down to the high school to run stairs.  I don't know what I was thinking.  Last time I ran stairs my calves were sore, so I guess I'm just a glutton for punishment this week.  We ran stairs for 30 minutes using 1 minute run/1 minute rest intervals.  Then I ran home and she continued on her bike ride.  By the time I had gotten a few blocks down the road, I started feeling pretty good so I decided to take the longer way home.  It ended up being a little over 8 miles in all.  I saw Jodi going out when I was almost home.  We talked for a while and I was wishing we would have coordinated a little better again.  I got home and finished my weights for the week.  It's been a good week.  

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Jen, Seems like you and I are sharing calf issues. Watch out... they hurt when they're damaged! Oh my... how they hurt. Mike