Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Mantua Spooktacular and this really did sounded like a good idea 4 months ago...

Fall is my favorite season. Not just to run during, but just to enjoy. It's as if the world takes a big sigh of relief from the hot summer and celebrates by changing all the leaves to brilliant colors. I love the cool mornings and evenings and the sunny warm days. I like the occasional rain and snow storms that remind me that winter is coming. I love the smell of damp leaves. That shouldn't be a good smell, but it is. I like kicking the leaves on my runs and hearing them crunch underfoot. I love how it is soup and hot chocolate season. I love that the garden is done. I just really love fall.

Heather and I took my day off and walked the trail. It was simply gorgeous. And I really noticed a lot more things just walking rather than running. It was fun. We parked a car at the top and the bottom to make it a little easier. Heather has been told to take it easy these last 2 1/2 months of her pregnancy. Unfortunately, we left the keys for the bottom vehicle in the top car so we walked back up the canyon to get them. We like to make things exciting.

Last Saturday we both ran the Mantua Spooktacular 5K. The shirts were awesome!

The course was difficult. I still don't know my official time finish but it was 28 something. I was a little disappointed after that great PR a couple of weeks ago, but knew that I wasn't running at top condition. And it really was a more difficult course. But we all had fun!

I was really disappointed that there were very few who dressed up for a Halloween run. I thought that having 8 legs would make me run faster. Ha ha! And I wished I'd had a photographer for this run. I bet all those legs looked cool while I was running. Of course that may just be how I thought it would look in my mind. I probably just looked like a spastic spider.

Have you seen that sign during a marathon that says something like, "This sounded like a good idea 4 months ago!"? I always liked that one. And now I'm starting to think that on a weekly basis. Back in July (when I wasn't training seriously for anything and was reading too many books), I came up with a great challenge for myself. I've always wanted to do a winter marathon. They just don't exist. At least around here. And I don't want to go to Arizona during the winter. I want a cold weather marathon.
So I decided that it would be really "fun" to run 37 miles on my upcoming 37th birthday in December. People could run miles with me instead of buying me presents. I could do all my favorite loops. My husband agreed to be my water boy and aid stations. I found a couple of ultra training plans and tweaked them to fit my date and goal. It basically consists of two long runs back to back working up to 26/10 miles and then 3 other runs during the week that work up to 10 miles.
I've really been surprised at how well it's been going. I was mostly worried about the second longer run immediately after the first one. But so far, that's ended up being the best run of the week. I really haven't been too sore either and have really enjoyed the step back weeks that have occurred every fourth week. Last week and this week however have proved challenging and the 5 weeks coming up will tell me if I can really do this thing or not. Last week's 18 miler was really hard to get through. My stomach was not doing well and I couldn't wait for it to be over. I woke up the next day DREADING my second long run. But that 10 miler was great.

So Monday, in my best RUNNERD fashion, I busted out 20 miles on the treadmill. That's a new record for me by a long shot. It kept my pace in check for the first half and the plan was to go outside after a while and try to keep the pace the same. But after I had finished 12 and could go outside, I didn't want to have to change clothes, so I just kept going and finished it out.

And if that wasn't enough for one day, we still had Halloween that night.

Which meant I still had to be "on" for a doctor's appointment, for our spooky dinner...

And trick or treating. Good thing we only walked about a mile or so. And it was a really great night. Perfect weather and everything!

No downtime at all, no nap (obviously) and I felt o.k. I wasn't until after my 10 miler yesterday day that the calves really started hurting. I sure am glad today is a rest day!

21 comments:

Julia said...

ahhhh!!! super love those race shirts!!!! they are awesome. and ummmm how amazingly incredible are you with your newest goal and endeavor!?! probably the strongest person I know...to be able to push yourself to this goal. I just love it. i hope I am still in town and can come run some of the miles with you!

abbi said...

Fall is such a great time of year. I just can't imagine going that long on a treadmill, I've tried before and always bail!

Stephanie said...

Wow, and I thought I was impressive saying I ran 11 miles on the TM. You rock!

misszippy said...

You are too cool doing that kind of marathon! Perfect way to move through winter. And the pics are amazing..such a beautiful place to run!

Anonymous said...

Wow a 37 mike run! Geez I'd have to run 41 miles I'm so not ready to do that. I agree about walking and noticing things. I notice almost nothing while running

Katie said...

The 37 mile run is a great idea!! I would have to do 37 this Dec too!!!

Pam @ herbieontherun.com said...

Now you just need to design yourself a really awesome medal. :)

Jerilee E. said...

I am absolutely loving fall! By far the best time of year for everything, especially running.
I LOVE the 37 mile run idea- you are awesome and crazy all at the same time :). You had a WAY more production Halloween than I did. Great job on the 20 miles... and on the TM!!

Anonymous said...

WOW 20 miles on the treadmill, man that's dedication girl! I am just trying to develop my new love for the treadmill, I'm not sure I could run long runs on it yet!

ihaverun said...

I LOVE the color of your runnerd shirt! And I would LOVE to come "celebrate" your birthday with you. I forget we are so close in age. Maybe next year I'll run 37 for mine =)

I love your costume. What a fun idea. I am so uncreative it's sad. And what a rock star you were on Halloween. I so wish we lived closer!

Unknown said...

It has been so long since I have read blogs. I just caught up on yours and I am in complete awe of you! I think you are amazing! The pictures are beautiful! That blood blister looks so painful! Holy Smokes!

Mallory said...

20 miles on the treadmill!??!?! I am completely bowing down to you right now. Holy smokes!

Elle said...

Wow! 20 miles on the treadmill! I am lucky to make myself do 20 minutes.

Love the shirts. Love the pictures.

Rachelle Wardle said...

Jenn I totally look forward to your updates. Great job with the 5k and the 20 miles on the treadmill? You are a rockstar. I still really want to be apart of your family and the Halloween dinner looks amazing.

Love you!

Amanda@runninghood said...

20 miles on a TM?! Amazing. And the memories you are creating for your kids....priceless. So great to hear from you. I miss you too!

Nelly said...

Your photos are always awesome, love the fall colors in Utah! I need to do a race there sometime!

lol on your spider costume for the race, that would freak me out seeing that coming towards me!

Awesome Runnerd shirt!

And great job on the 20 miles on the treadmill, no way I could do that, the most I've done is like 6 on there, haha

Mike said...

HOw did you lasted 20miles on a treadmill? Didn't you get bored?
That's real dedication!
I hate the treadmill...I feel like the little rat with the wheel..

Peace
Mike @TheIronYou

Average Woman Runner said...

Looks like a beautiful fall! Amazing treadmill run - I think my record is 9 mi? Now that I've got one at home, likely will be logging more miles. Phew!

ash & diz said...

37 Miles??

you. are. a. ROCKSTAR!

all of us Provo girls should come up and run with you for a loop.

and I'm super impressed with your TM 20 miler. I max out around 12 on the TM. I get too bored.

and the spider costume is awesome. :)

Coy Martinez said...

That is a GREAT idea to run 37 on your 37th!! A good way to celebrate something that you love!! It would be cool if you did it EVERY year too! HAHAHA! Imagine at 80! :)

I'm like you, I love cold weather running and have been looking for a cold weather marathon. They have some here on the east coast but most are trail races, which is fine but sometimes wreak havoc on my IT Band. Have you heard of the marathon in Antartica?

Fiona mcg said...

That halloween table is HAPPENIN! Your kids must love it.

Great free race tees too!