Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Top of Utah 1/2 Marathon

This is the 3rd year in a row that I have run this race. It's always the last Saturday before the kids go back to school and a great way to end the summer. Plus it's a beautiful course and each year I've run it with friends. This year was no exception. My first year I ran it with Jodi, last year with Heather, and this year with both of them and Jody S. This was Jody's first 1/2 marathon. I was so proud of her for achieving her goal. She had an injury along the way but was still able to pull it off- and do it very well.

The starting line was perfect weather and all through the canyon was great. But as soon as the sun came out it really started heating up. I kept up with Heather and Jodi until about mile 10. I had been battling a massive side stitch the whole way. It would ease up and then get worse. I really didn't talk much, I just tried to breath easy and relax so that dang side ache would go away. Finally I stopped and walked for a minute or two and it went away. The last couple of miles were long. I crossed the finish line strong though and was happy. My time was 2:07. Not too great considering that last year was 2:00. It was much warmer this year and I really didn't feel great. And the best part was that I wasn't even bummed about my time. I just had a great time with good friends. Sure, a PR would have been great. I guess they can't all be great race days. After I got some gatorade and a banana we went to stand in the shirt exchange line. (Shirts were severely undersized.) I started to not feel so great. I was dizzy and lightheaded and a little nauseous. It passed but I still didn't feel good all the way home. After I jumped out of the shower I still felt like crap so I hopped on the scale and discovered that I'd lost 5 lbs from the morning. (Yes, I weigh myself pretty much everyday.) No wonder I wasn't feeling good. After drinking lots of water and refueling myself I felt much better. All in all, a good race!

Getting ready to leave at 5:15 a.m.
Renee, Jodi, Heather, and me.
Crazy socks again- telling myself it's just for fun!

Waiting to start!

Jodi, Heather, me, Jody, and her hubby Doran after the race is over.

Here's what the last couple of weeks have looked like for me:
Friday: cycling class (12 miles)
Saturday: 18 mile run (yeah, I know. But I had NO pain so I think I'm finally healed!)

Monday: weight class, 5 mile trail run
Tuesday: 26 mile bike ride
Wednesday: weight class
Thursday: 6.5 mile run
Saturday: 15 mile run

Monday: weight class
Tuesday: 6 mile run
Thursday: 17 mile bike ride
Saturday: Top of Utah 1/2 marathon


Doran & Jody said...

You are AWESOME Jen! I want to be like you when I grow up!

I also had a side ache most of the run. Did we eat something wrong? Like not enough chocolate?

Mel said...

Great job with your race. I'm sorry you weren't feeling well. Yesterday I ate two donuts to celebrate the kids going back to school. Today's run was miserable. When will I ever learn?

Thanks so much for letting Renay in on the fun. I really appreciate it:)

Michael said...

Way to go Jen; another amazing achievement under your belt. 5 pounds of water loss over 2 hours is huge. Be careful out there! My training for Chicago is on track and -so far- I'm injury free. Cheers. Mike

Wendy said...

You're awesome! Great job!!

You look so good in all the pictures, even in the after picture!

zbsports said...

Great job to all participant of this marathon. he race seems so successful and lot of fun, I can see it in the pictures. Nice run!!!

Wendy said...

I had my hair in braids and a hat for my race - inspired by you! :)